Field Hockey

Syracuse climbs back up 2 spots in latest NFHCA Poll

Diana Valdivia | Contributing Photographer

Syracuse ranked No. 11 in this week's NFHCA Coaches Poll after back-to-back wins over two top-20 teams.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

After back-to-back wins against two top-20 teams, Syracuse is ranked at No. 11 in this week’s National Field Hockey Coach Association’s Poll. The Orange jumped back to where they were two weeks ago following a slip to No. 13 in the rankings.

Syracuse started off an important week with then-No. 16 Boston College traveling to Syracuse. This contest was highlighted by SU’s defense, who completely shut down the Eagles in a 3-0 victory. Syracuse held BC to just two shots in the first half, and none in the second.

The scoring did not start until the fourth period, when Charlotte de Vries netted her 10th goal of the year. Joy Haarman got the second score and Willemijn Boogert finished it off with the third.

SU followed that win up on the road at then-No. 18 James Madison. The Orange found themselves trailing 1-0 in the second period after a penalty stroke goal. In the third quarter, Sabine van den Eijnden knotted the game at one, finding the back of the net off a feed from Eefke van den Nieuwenhof. Sixty minutes proved to be not enough, as the game was still tied 1-1 when regulation ended.

Quirine Comans ended the game in overtime, putting home a rebound six-and-a-half minutes after the extra period began. The goal was the captain’s 10th score on the year, matching de Vries for the team lead.

Syracuse (10-2, 2-1 Athletic Coast) will stay at home for its next two games. It will host Stanford on Wednesday at 6 p.m. In its afternoon matchup with Cornell on Sunday, former Syracuse star Julie Williamson will have her jersey retired at halftime.