Field Hockey

Syracuse falls 1 spot to No. 12 in NFHCA Poll

Jacob Halsema | Staff Photographer

Syracuse remains in the top 15 of NFHCA Poll for the seventh straight week after its 6-1 loss to No. 1 North Carolina.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

Syracuse field hockey dropped one spot to No. 12 in this week’s NFCHA Coaches poll. Despite losing their only game last week, the Orange remain in the top 15 for the seventh straight week.

On Friday, SU traveled to Chapel Hill to play No. 1 UNC. The Tar Heels were all over the Orange early, putting in four goals before the first half ended. Syracuse failed to mount a comeback in the second half, losing this contest 6-1.

On the defensive side, what had been a strength for Syracuse up until this point in the season had an extremely poor day on the field. Time after time, UNC’s offense made it easily past Syracuse’s defenders and created goal scoring opportunities. The team with a nation-leading nine shutouts put out an extremely weak effort in defending. Syracuse gave up 20 shots and 12 penalty corners throughout the game.

Syracuse looked better in the fourth quarter, but it was more of a formality as UNC was well on its way to win. Charlotte De Vries assisted Eefke Van Den Nieuwenhof, but it only came after Heck’s third goal of the game extended North Carolina’s lead to six.

Syracuse’s goal came courtesy of a penalty corner, as van den Nieuwenhof slotted home her sixth of the year. De Vries was credited with the assist. Brooke Borzymowski made eight saves in the loss.

No. 12 Syracuse (12-3, 2-2 ACC) continues its tough stretch as No. 4 Louisville (12-3, 1-3 ACC) comes to Syracuse on Friday. Both teams will be fighting for their 13th win, with the game beginning at 6 p.m.